OLD PHOTO'S OF MEVAGISSEY

 

 

LINKS

 

 

Alf Thomas

Alf Thomas looking over the days catch of whiting Mevagissey Harbour

Mevagissey Harbour

Looking from the inside of East Quay towards the lighthouse

Mevagissey Inner Harbour

By 1951 when this photo was taken Mevagissey was in decline in the fishing industry and stayed that was until the middle 1960 when macerell start turning up in large quantities

Inner Harbour Mevagissey

"The Mary Brown" unloading coal alongside the quay

Ernie Over

A First World War Hero

Fore Street Mevagissey

Front standing in the door Mrs Edgar Mills (Ameretta's mother). Left behind looking out of shop door Hebalina Hunkin. Left behind third lady out Eunice Fulfit. Centre of road Charlie Robins carpenter and shipwright. On the right front is Granny Pills shop which sold apples

Mevagissey West Quay

Looking towards the Aquarium anad East Quay

Mevagissey New Road.

Mevagissey New Road was built about 1915-1920. It was built because School Hill was steep for horse to go up the hill. The Western Nation bus company ran buses from St Austell to Mevagissey the price was 1shilling return

Mevagissey Outer Harbour

This photo was taken in the Summer, all the boats are in the Pool

The Ladies of Mevagissey

Front standing in the door Mrs Edgar Mills (Ameretta's mother). Left behind looking out of shop door Hebalina Hunkin. Left behind third lady out Eunice Fulfit. Centre of road Charlie Robins carpenter and shipwright. On the right front is Granny Pills shop which sold apples

Looking in from West Quay

Notice that in this picture the road to the Lighthouse has not been completed. You can just see the Schooner with sails drying in the far corner of the picture. In the foreground the harbour quay and road out to the lighthouse is not complete. Behind the sailing ship is Heligan Gardens and the house.

Mevagissey Inner Harbour

Notice the coal ship

Looking from West Quay taken from Polkirt Hill.

West Quay taken from Polkirt Hill. Notice the seagulls sitting on top the harbour wall

Over Bakery Mevagissey

On the left Granfer Over and Joey Over on the right. Maker of oven used: - Engieers Ernest R Pace and Co Cardiff. The oven was still there in 2005

Joey Over

He was very proud of his wedding cates the finest in Mevagissey

Mevagissey Inner Harbour

How mevagissey harbour looked in 2006

 

 

 

Home Page

Genealogy

Mevagissey Parish

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

E-mail the webmaster with questions or comments about this Web site